HelpEd is a help file builder.
HelpEd provides two main functions:
- Overall management of the help project. The main window contains facilities to add, remove and re-order topics. Control is also provided over the appearance of the finished help file. The main window also contains facilities for the creation of an optional table of contents.
- Editing of individual topics. The editor includes options specific to the editing of help topics. Both text and pictures can be included in the help file. The topic editor also includes various editing features in common with our WED editor.
The Windows version of HelpEd maintains the source help file set in either Windows Help (RTF) or HTML format and can generate the final help file in any one of three formats:
- Windows HTML Help (CHM) : Supported as standard on Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7/8. Requires IE4 (or later) on Windows 95/NT4. Compilation of the final CHM file requires the downloadable Microsoft HTML Help Workshop.
- HTML : Help files generated in HTML can be viewed in browsers such as IE, FireFox, Safari and many others, on any platform.
- Windows Help (HLP) : Suitable for display by the winhlp32 program which is standard on all Windows platforms up to Windows XP (superseded by CHM). Compilation of the HLP file requires the Windows Help Workshop.
HelpEd incorporates a substantial RTF-to-HTML converter. This is used automatically when generating HTML or HTML Help (CHM) file sets from RTF sources, but is also accessible directly to convert some 3rd party WinHelp (HLP) projects or individual RTF files to HTML format. For an example of a HTML help file set created by the help editor's RTF-HTML converter, see the Winteracter release notes.
HelpEd is also supplied with the X Windows versions of Winteracter, supporting HTML as both its source and output formats.